In summary, this video is about the unfortunate even that happens when white Americans refuse to accept blacks into their community and they refuse to leave. The African American boys were hanged for supposedly killing a white female. It was proved to be wrong but whites used that as a way to harassed and drive out a thousand black from their community. This was in relation to Trump becoming president and all the events, such as police brutality that has been happening all around the country including Atlanta.
This is a credible resource because it comes from a public broadcast. It isn’t biased because it was recorded in history and many videos of such events can be found social media. The video is good quality and easy to understand. It is a bit graphic though.
This video will be used to explain what happens when white hate groups rather not leave but prefer to hurt other people. It will be an example on how integration sometimes doesn’t work and how that video relates to the present.
“How a Georgia County’s Campaign of Terror Drove Away Its Black Community.” PBS. Public Broadcasting Service, 16 Jan. 2017. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/georgia-countys-campaign-terror-drove-away-black-community/>.
In summary, this article talks about DeKalb County having African Americans making six figures but yet the value of their houses are decreasing. This phenomenon only exist the heavily populated black community, south DeKalb. She talks about how there are many African doing the right thing and getting their education, or joining the military but are not benefiting from it. Then she explains how banks purposely gave out bad loans to African Americans who could afford a good loan and the opposite for White Americans.
The Washington Post is a very credible and reliable source of information as which this article is located. This article lacks the other side, the bankers side, of the story but it is doubtful that they would of shared private information. Emily Badger, the author, writes for Washington post about racial issues. This Article is long, and heavily detailed but easy to read.
This article will be use as an example of how banks are use to bring down the black community. It is proof that African Americans are targeted regardless if they are low, middle, or high class. This is just one of the many examples in Atlanta that shows how different groups will do everything that they can to keep African Americans from reaching the American Dream.
Badger, Emily. “The Nation’s Housing Recovery Is Leaving Blacks behind.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 2 May 2016. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/atlanta/>
In summary, this is a small video describes why black people are not successful by integration. First, it states that black wealth has declined because most blacks spend their money at what own business then black owned. Second, the black family structure has collapsed. Third, unemployment rate has risen for black men. Fourth, myth of the colorblind society was promoted. This means that people ignore black issues and focus on their own issues. Fifth, the black community had to become dependent on other communities.
This is credible because the producers are Atlanta Blackstar, which is a African american news blog. They talk about politics, world events, and even entertainment to keep the black community educated on what is going on around. It may be biased because it is one-sided, which is the black view on issues. However, not a lot of blogs, news stations represent the black community.
This video will be used to show the other point of view from segregation, which is integration. It will help explain some good points on why African Americans should stay segregated from the white community. It will also show the problems that integration has caused from family structure to police brutality.
5 Ways Integration Underdeveloped Black America. Prod. Atlanta Blackstar. 5 Ways Integration Underdeveloped Black America. Youtube, Dec. 2013. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVZuA7d2_7Q>.
In summary, this book explains how whites and blacks use to thrive with one another. They both shared businesses and housing developments more often than any other state had. Then during the Civil rights movement the two races divided and many whites migrated from Atlanta. This created a segregated community with what whites were left.
This is a credible article because Kevin Kruse is a well know political advocate, coming from Princeton University. He is also not African American so he cannot be bias in any way. His main focus is on rights, race, and religion as he book focuses on. The book is a long read with many unnecessarily details, if you already live as in African American in Atlanta. However, if you are new to Atlanta’s History it is a very good read to understand it better.
This book will be used to illustrate some of the cause of white flight. This will also help paint a picture of how Atlanta operated before and after white flight. In addition, it will help show how black wealth decreased and social tension increased.
Kruse, Kevin M. White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism. STU – Student edition ed., Princeton University Press, 2005, www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt3fgx6p.
In summary, the article explains how white flight occurred in Atlanta during the 1940s thru 1970s. It gives pictures showing the movement of the black population in Atlanta. It also defines white flight as “the movement of whites out of southern cities”.
This article is reliable because it is written by Kevin Kruse, who is from Princeton University. He is a “scholar of the political, social and urban/suburban history of the twentieth century America”, which means he has a lot of experience and knowledge about his topic. It also has a presentation attached to his work to help you understand what he is writing.
This article will be used to compare past events to the present events. I will use the pictures to show similar increase and decrease to the populations of whites and blacks in Atlanta as they are today. This will help show how Atlanta has some of the poorest areas yet is still one of the richest cities.
Kruse, Kevin. “White Flight: The Strategies, Ideology, and Legacy of Segregationists in Atlanta.” Sevaa. Southern Spaces, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <https://southernspaces.org/2005/white-flight-strategies-ideology-and-legacy-segregationists-atlanta>.
I went to the Underground and to the Chattahoochee river for my built environment. My annotated bibliography mostly consist of the increase and decrease of the african american and white population. It also includes a few articles on black wealth and real estate segregation. There will be a few articles on white flight from Atlanta and the effects. My thesis will potentially be as such: The cause of white flight and the increase of the black population in Atlanta is caused by the influence of real estate agents, banks, and the social structure of the economy.
- Board, The Editorial. “How Segregation Destroys Black Wealth.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 15 Sept. 2015. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. <https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/opinion/how-segregation-destroys-black-wealth.html?_r=0>.
- Data Access and Dissemination Systems (DADS). “American FactFinder – Results.” American FactFinder – Results. U.S. Department of Commerce, 05 Oct. 2010. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. <https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk>.
- Hatfield, Edward A. “Segregation.” New Georgia Encyclopedia. New Georgia Encyclopedia, 01 June 2007. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. <http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/segregation>.
- Pooley, Karen. “Segregation’s New Geography: The Atlanta Metro Region, Race, and the Declining Prospects for Upward Mobility.” Southern Spaces. Southern Spaces, 15 Aug. 2015. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. <https://southernspaces.org/2015/segregations-new-geography-atlanta-metro-region-race-and-declining-prospects-upward-mobility>.
- Unkown, Author. “Population Estimates, July 1, 2015, (V2015).” Atlanta City Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau. U.S. Department of Commerce, July-Aug. 2016. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. <https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/1304000>.
- Badger, Emily. “The Nation’s Housing Recovery Is Leaving Blacks behind.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 2 May 2016. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/atlanta/>.
- 5 Ways Integration Underdeveloped Black America. Prod. Atlanta Blackstar. 5 Ways Integration Underdeveloped Black America. Youtube, Dec. 2013. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVZuA7d2_7Q>.
- “How a Georgia County’s Campaign of Terror Drove Away Its Black Community.” PBS. Public Broadcasting Service, 16 Jan. 2017. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/georgia-countys-campaign-terror-drove-away-black-community/>.
- Kruse, Kevin. “White Flight: The Strategies, Ideology, and Legacy of Segregationists in Atlanta.” Sevaa. Southern Spaces, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 27 Mar. 2017. <https://southernspaces.org/2005/white-flight-strategies-ideology-and-legacy-segregationists-atlanta>.
- Monica. Children Holding Hands. Digital image. Pin. Pintrest, n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2017. <https://www.google.com/search?q=colorful+hands&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyzKSB5ZPTAhVGlVQKHbUFB3cQsAQIGQ&biw=1366&bih=589#tbm=isch&q=children+holding+hands+black+and+white&imgrc=v7A_hddUDftbmM:>.
- Unknown, Author. “Info Center.” Census 2010. Atlanta Regional, Jan.-Feb. 2010. Web. 07 Apr. 2017. <http://www.atlantaregional.com/info-center/2010-census>.
- Unkown, Author. Educated Black Man. Digital image. Blogspot. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2017. <http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3vvF1E3l2ps/Sf8yjosYySI/AAAAAAAAAeg/DQhJo5oTvTk/s400/Educated+Black+Man.jpg>.
- Unkown, Author. Educated Black Woman. Digital image. Media Cache. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2017. <https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e4/ba/2c/e4ba2c162607b74470928bdca316fc7c.jpg>.
- Unkown, Author. Jim Crowe. Digital image. Blogspot. Blogspot, n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2017. <http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZZYRqENqP9g/Th7_uQaLdVI/AAAAAAAAB4Y/J5qpk5qWR0Y/s1600/jim+crowe.jpg>.
- Unkown, Author. Money. Digital image. Colorado Peak Politics. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2017. <https://coloradopeakpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Money-II.jpg>.
- Unkown, Author. Picture of opposition and support of Jim Crow laws. Digital image. Crew of 42. Crew of 42, n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2017. <http://www.crewof42.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/jim-crow.png>.
5) Board, The Editorial. “How Segregation Destroys Black Wealth.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 15 Sept. 2015. Web. 10 Mar. 2017. <https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/opinion/how-segregation-destroys-black-wealth.html?_r=0>.
This article describes how segregation affects the wealth of African Americans. It talks about how white real estate’s agents would only show houses based on the majority of the buyer’s race lived at. For an example, blacks would only be shown houses in the “ghettos” of the state while whites would be shown the best education and higher property value areas. They also conducted an experiment to see if that theory was true and they found out that even if whites had bad credit, and no loan approval sheets, they would still be shown the better homes. Consequently, Blacks who had good credit and a good down payment still had to bring lots of paper work and was denied to view houses in majority white neighborhoods.
This is article is short but not only explains but justify its claim. It is published on “The New York Times”, which makes it credible. The only con is that, if you want more information on how real estate affects the African American community, you would have to go to a different article. This article gives you the bare minimal of information it needs to get its points across.
This article will be used to describe how segregation affects the African American community’s wealth. It will also give examples that the white private real estate market has and how it can be fixed. It will also explain other ways that businesses try to keep races separated from one another.